|Home » Articles » LESSON NOTES (Social Studies) » Upper Primary|
ADVANTAGES OF MINERALS TO THE ECONOMY OF EAST AFRICA.
1) Foreign exchange.
2) Employment opportunity
3) Improvement of infrastructure
4) Growth of towns thus contributing to urbanization, Mwadui, Hima and Bamburi are examples of such towns.
5) Development of other sectors such as education, agriculture and tourism.
MINING INDUSTRIES IN EAST AFRICA
East African Countries are less developed so mining industries are hindered by lack of capital.
East African countries experience the shortage of skilled labours in mining industries.
Tanzania has a larger number of minerals than Kenya and Uganda.
Uganda lacks suitable routes to the coastal ports and harbours because it is a land locked country. Land locked means entirely surrounded by land or having no coastline.
EFFECTS/ DAMAGES OF MINING ACTIVITIES IN THE ENVIRONMENT
2) Air pollution due to Sulphur dioxide and carbon dioxide.
3) Mining causes land degradation due to the pits dug during the mining process.
4) Mining attracts people causing population pressure in mining centres.
5) Mining causes decline of agriculture because many people rush to work in mines and abandon agriculture.
6) Noise pollution due to blasting explosives in mines.
WAYS OF MANAGING THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF MINING
1) Afforestation should be encouraged.
2) Machines used in mines should be regularly serviced in order to reduce the rate of noise and smoke.
3) Pits should be filled with soil when mining activities stop.
4) Residential areas should not be located near mines.
5) People should be encouraged to perform agricultural activities by being given subsidy from the government.
- Which country has large number of mineral deposits in East Africa?
- The removal of minerals from underground is called ………………..
- What is a mineral?
- What are mines?
- Where is copper mined in Uganda?
- What is a land-locked country?
- Where is diamond mined in Tanzania?
- Which country produces more gold that any other in Africa?
- Mention any three metallic minerals
- Mention two uses of Diamond.
*********** END OF PART TWO ***********
Part 1 (Mining introduction).
Feel free to ask or comment down here:
********* Mr. Yahya M (Badshah ) ********
|Views: 296 | ||
|Total comments: 0|